Sunday 6 March 2011

Reading 1: Computer as a paintbrush

Well, upon completion of this week’s reading I have a new knowledge of little computer/robot device thingys known as 'crickets'. I can't help but picture in my mind the small bouncy creature type of cricket as I talk about these innovative little technological advanced devices, but I assume this is the reason they are named so, being so small and bouncy....but do they chirp like a cricket too? Or are they regarded as pests? I am sure to the technologically disadvantaged teachers or teachers in training they must be, but I am one who plans on learning how these little things can be employed in the classroom to assist in creative and innovative learning. At least, that is the plan anyhow!
The reading has opened my mind in regards to the development of creativity, expression and design in regards to children's learning. In the example given of the bird feeder it goes to show how something, anything that has gained the interest of the child is viewed upon as an activity in interest and/or leisure, and not 'homework' or 'learning', which for some if not many would be more of a chore. Yet Jenny, in this case managed to make use of scientific concepts in a meaningful and motivating context, to acquire the desired outcome for her invention of her bird feeder, enabling her to learn concepts that would have been difficult for her to learn in the past. This route to learning can only prove beneficial to not only the student but teacher alike.
I look forward to welcoming these little crickets into my teaching resources...wish me luck!!!
Belinda

No comments:

Post a Comment